The smart card driving licence has gained popularity over time in India. Most Indian states, today, issue driving licences in the form of a smart card as opposed to the traditional booklet form. Individuals who wish to convert the book driving licence to smart card driving licence will have to submit the necessary application form at the RTO along with the age and address proof documents.
Advantages of smart card driving licence
A smart card driving licence is essentially a plastic card that has a microprocessor chip with a memory capacity of 64kb that stores all necessary information. The advantages of the smart card licence are as follows:
- Since the driving licence has to be carried by the licence holder whenever he/she is driving, it may get mutilated over a couple of years. The plastic card, on the other hand, cannot get damaged easily.
- The book format has only details about the individual but the smart card has information about the person as well as other data such as his/her biometrics, blood group, body marks, fingerprints, etc.
- The biometric data can be accessed only by Regional Transport Officers or Assistance Regional Transport Officers in case the uniqueness of the individual has to be checked.
- The information can be accessed only when the card is inserted in a certain handheld device. Traffic police typically use this facility to check the authenticity of the driver.
- The smart card feature helps spot fake driving licences.
- The information on the card can only be modified and not erased, hence, it helps track information and history.
How to apply for smart card driving licence
Smart card driving licences can be obtained offline from the nearest RTO or online through the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways – Parivahan. Since some Indian states do not issue smart cards, it is important to enquire whether the facility is available in the state or not.
The list of documents required to apply for a smart card licence are given below:
- Application form 4
- Proof of age
- Proof of address
- Recent passport-size photographs
Procedure to apply for smart card driving licence offline
You can apply for a smart card driving licence at your nearest RTO by following the below-mentioned procedure:
- Print the application form and submit it at the RTO after filling in all the details.
- Visit the Parivahan home page.
- Hover your mouse over the option ‘Downloadable Forms’.
- Then, click on ‘Driving Licence’.
- Download the driving licence application – Form 4.
- Fill in all the details and submit it at the RTO.
Alternatively, you can also get the application form at the RTO.
- Along with the application form, submit the age proof and address proof documents.
- Pick a slot for your driving licence test and pay the applicable fee. The fee for issuing of the driving licence is Rs.200 and the fee for the driving test is Rs.300.
- Appear for the driving test.
- Once you pass the test, you will be required to provide your biometric details to be included in the smart card licence.
- All the information provided by you will be verified and the smart card driving licence will be sent to your registered address.
Procedure to apply for smart card driving licence online
- Open the home page of the Parivahan website.
- Under the ‘Online Services’ option, click on ‘Driving Licence Related Services’.
- Then, select the appropriate state from the drop-down menu provided.
- On the next page, click on ‘Apply Online’ and then click on ‘New Driving Licence’.
- Go through the instructions provided thoroughly and click on ‘Continue’.
- Enter your learner’s licence number and your date of birth. Click on ‘OK’.
- In the next step, upload all the necessary documents such as the proof of address and proof of age. Your recent photograph and signature will also have to be uploaded in the case of application in specific states.
- If the option to book the time slot for the driving test is available in your state, go ahead and book it.
- In the final step, make the fee payment online. The applicable fee, as mentioned above is Rs.200 for the application and Rs.300 for the driving test.
- Similar to the steps in the offline procedure, once you pass the driving test, biometric details will be collected from you.
- After complete verification, the smart card driving licence will be sent to your registered address.
FAQs on smart card driving licence
1.How do I check if my state issues smart card driving licence?
Visit the official website of the transport ministry of your state to find out if smart card licences are issued.
2.Do I have to undergo the driving test again if I want to convert my driving licence book to a smart card driving licence?
No, you will not be required to undergo the test again. You will only have to submit an application to get a smart card driving licence.
3.What documents can I submit as the address proof?
You can submit your house agreement, ration card, recent electricity bill, Aadhaar card, recent gas bill, or your passport. If you are residing in a city different from the one where your permanent address is, you will have to submit the rental agreement along with the recent electricity or gas bill of the current address.