As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is illegal for car owners in the country to drive without a valid four wheeler driving license. Along with a valid driving license, vehicle owners have to also have a valid third-party motor insurance policy. If the vehicle owner meets with an accident and does not have a valid driving license or a third-party car insurance policy, then the vehicle owner will be penalised and depending on the severity of the situation, might have to serve jail term as well.
Vehicle owners residing in the state of Assam, they can apply for a four wheeler driving license either online or offline (at the RTO in their jurisdiction). With the online driving license application process, the applicant can download the required forms and upload it online with relevant documents and even book a slot for the driving test based on his/her convenience and the availability of the slots. Following the driving test, the candidate has the convenience of checking the driving license status online using the driving license application number. That said, we’ve listed out the process to apply for a driving license in the state of Assam and the other requirements.
Types of motor driving license in Assam
When applying for a driving license in Assam, applicants will have to choose a vehicle class as listed below:
- Motorcycle with gears
- Gearless motorcycles or Light motor vehicle
- Medium goods and passenger vehicle
- Vehicle used to carry heavy goods
- Road roller
- Heavy passenger vehicle
Eligibility criteria to apply for a four wheeler driving license in Assam
In order to apply for a driving license in the state of Assam, the candidate has to meet the eligibility criteria as listed below:
- To apply for a permanent four wheeler driving license, the applicant has to be a minimum of 18 years old.
- If the applicant wishes to apply for a commercial or transport driving license, the applicant should be a minimum of 21 years old.
- The applicant should already have a learner’s license to be eligible for the driving test.
- Only after 30 days from the date of being issued the learner’s license can the candidate apply for the driving license test. The application for the driving license test has to be done within 6 months from the date of issuance of the learner’s license.
Steps to apply for a four wheeler driving license in Assam
As already mentioned, the driving license applicant in Assam has the choice of making the application either online or offline. For the online process, the candidate can either procure the application form (depending on whether it is for a private driving license or for commercial/transport purpose) either on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways or on the Assam Transport Department website. The candidate has to then follow the steps mentioned below for either the online or offline process:
- After 30 days of being issued the learner’s license, the candidate can visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways - https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- On the main page of the website, the candidate should click on ‘driving license related services’.
- The applicant has to then select the state where he/she will be taking the driving license test. In this case, Assam.
- The page will be redirected. The applicant has to click on ‘apply online’.
- Choose ‘new driving license’.
- The applicant has to then enter his/her learner’s license number and date of birth.
- Once that is done, he/she will have to download the driving license application form from the website.
- The applicant has to then fill the application form and self-attest the form.
- Along with the application form, the driving license applicant has to upload all the relevant documents and passport-size photographs.
- Once the documents and application form have been submitted, the applicant can then book a slot for the driving license test on the website using the application number.
- On the day of the driving license test, the applicant has to submit the attested application form, the relevant documents, registration certificate of the vehicle, and passport-size photographs.
- The candidate will have to then take the practical driving test.
- Visit the Regional Transport Office in your jurisdiction.
- At the RTO, procure the application form depending on whether you are applying for a private or commercial/transport driving license.
- Fill the application form, self-attest it, and submit all the other relevant documents.
- Pay the fees for the application of the permanent driving license.
- Once the RTO officer verifies the documents that have been submitted, he/she will assign a slot for the driving license test.
- The applicant will have to visit the RTO again for the driving license test with the application form and relevant documents.
- Using the token number of the driving license test, the applicant can then check the status of his/her driving license on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways or at the RTO itself.
Documents required to apply for a driving license in Assam
Those applying for a driving license in Assam will have to submit the documents mentioned below:
- Form 4 for a private driving license.
- Form 5 for a commercial or transport driving license that has been issued by the Motor Driving School.
- The original learner’s driving license.
- Proof of age - Passport, Aadhaar card, Voter ID card, birth certificate, etc.
- Proof of residence - Passport, Aadhaar card, Voter ID card, etc.
- Registration certificate of the vehicle that will be used for the driving test. If the vehicle is not the applicant's, then he/she will have to submit a written consent from the vehicle owner.
For those applying for a commercial or transport driving license, they will have to do a driving course at any Government Motor Driving School. On completion of the course, the motor driving school will issue Form 5.
If the driving license applicant fails the driving test, he/she can re-apply for the test in 7 days. The driving license is valid for a period of 20 years or till the applicant reaches the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier. To ensure no roadblocks, the driving license holder can renew his/her license even before it expires.