To apply for a permanent driving license in the city of Bengaluru, vehicle owners first need to clear the learner’s license test. If they clear the written test, they will be issued the learner’s license by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) in their jurisdiction. The learner’s license is valid for a period of 6 months, and 30 days after the issuance of the document, the learner’s license holder can apply for the permanent driving license.
Vehicle owners in Bengaluru can apply for the permanent four wheeler driving license either online - on the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, or at the RTO in their jurisdiction. For both processes, the applicant will have to procure the application form, fill in the required details, self-attest the form and then submit it. The details as mentioned in the application form will be cross checked with the documents that have to be submitted by the applicant. If the details are legitimate, the applicant will have to book the slot for the four wheeler driving test.
Types of driving licenses issued in Bengaluru
Depending on the type of vehicle that the applicant wishes to drive, he/she will have to apply for any of the below-listed driving licenses that are issued by the Karnataka State Transport Department:
- Driving license for a gearless motorcycle having an engine capacity below 50cc.
- Driving license for a gearless motor vehicle having an engine capacity more than 50cc.
- Driving license for geared motor vehicles.
- Driving license for a medium or heavy goods vehicle.
- Driving license for a transport vehicle or a commercial vehicle.
Eligibility criteria to apply for a four wheeler driving license in Bengaluru
Vehicle owners in Bengaluru have to meet the below-listed requirements to apply for a permanent driving license in the city:
- For geared vehicles and for gearless vehicles with an engine capacity more than 50cc, the candidate should be a 18 years old.
- To apply for a four wheeler commercial or transport driving license, the candidate should be 20 years old.
- The applicant should have a valid learner’s license if he/she wishes to apply for the permanent driving license. The application for the permanent driving license can be made 30 days after the learner’s license has been issued by the RTO.
- The vehicle owner should have the ability to control the vehicle in various on-road situations, and should know the road rules that have been set by the state and the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
Steps to apply for a four wheeler driving license in Bengaluru
Permanent four wheeler driving license candidates should follow the steps for both the online and offline application procedures:
- The applicant has to visit the online portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways - Click Here
- On the main page, the applicant has to choose ‘Karnataka’ to proceed with the online driving license application in Bengaluru.
- The candidate has to then click on ‘apply online’ and then choose ‘new driving license’.
- To proceed, the applicant has to enter his/her learner’s license number and date of birth.
- Click on ‘ok’ to proceed.
- The application form has to be downloaded. For a private vehicle driving license, the applicant has to download Form 4 or Form 5, if he/she is applying for a transport or commercial driving license.
- Once the application form has been downloaded, the required details have to be filled. The applicant has to then self-attest the form.
- The candidate has to then upload the application form along with relevant documents to prove medical fitness, identity and age proof.
- The candidate has to also upload his/her recent passport-size photographs.
- Once the form and documents have been uploaded, the candidate has to use the application number to book the slot for the driving license test.
- On the day of the test, the application form and documents have to be verified by an authorised personnel. The documents of the vehicle such as the registration certificate, pollution under control (PUC) certificate and the insurance document of the vehicle that will be used for the test have to be submitted to the inspector. The candidate can then take the practical driving test.
- The permanent driving license candidate has to visit the RTO in his/her jurisdiction.
- He/she should procure the application form - either Form 4 for a private vehicle or Form 5 in the case of a commercial or transport vehicle.
- The candidate has to then fill in the application form, self-attest the form and paste his/her passport-size photographs on it.
- The application form along with relevant documents has to be submitted for verification.
- If all the details of the applicant are legitimate, then he/she will have to pay the fees for the driving license application.
- The Regional Transport Officer will then allocate a slot for the driving license. The applicant will have to be present at the time of the driving license slot and submit the verified documents as well as the documents of the vehicle that will be used for the driving test.
Documents required to apply for a driving license in Bengaluru
Listed below are the documents that the applicant in Bengaluru has to submit:
- Form 4 (for private vehicles) or Form 5 (for commercial or transport vehicles).
- Age proof - Birth Certificate, Passport, Aadhaar card, etc.
- Identity proof - Passport, Aadhaar card, Voter ID card, etc.
- Pollution under control (PUC) certificate, Insurance documents, and registration certificate of the vehicle/car that will be used for the driving licence practical test.
- Passport-size photographs.
- Original learner’s license document.
Once the candidate finishes the practical driving license test, he/she can use the application number (online procedure) to check the status of his/her driving license - whether he/she has cleared the four wheeler driving license test or not. The status of the driving license can be checked at the RTO as well. If the candidate clears the test, the RTO will speed post the document to the address of the candidate within 30 days. The driving license is valid for a period of 20 years or till the candidate reaches the age of 50 years. The driving license serves as proof that the vehicle owner is registered under the state transport department and that he/she is permitted to drive anywhere in the country. Lastly, it can also be used in the future as proof of identity.