The driving license document is issued by the Regional Transport Department in the jurisdiction of the applicant, and when making application, the candidate has to choose the vehicle category that he/she wishes to drive. Candidates for the driving license can choose between a private vehicle driving license, four wheeler commercial or transport vehicle (including passenger vehicles) driving license, a heavy goods driving license, etc. For each vehicle category, the eligibility criteria to apply for the driving license test varies and the candidate has to meet the conditions to take the driving test.
In the state of Bihar, driving license applicants have the choice of applying for the test either offline or online. The online procedure for the application of the driving license test has to be carried out on the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, and the offline procedure can be carried out at the RTO in the area of residence of the candidate.
Types of driving license issued in Bihar
Listed below are the types of driving licences issued by the State Transport Department of Bihar:
- Motorcycles that are 50cc or below.
- Geared and non-geared private vehicles.
- Transport and commercial vehicles.
- Heavy goods vehicle.
Eligibility criteria to apply for a four wheeler driving license in Bihar
Vehicle owners in the state have to meet the below-listed conditions to be permitted to take the permanent driving license test:
- For light motor vehicles and vehicles above 50cc (geared and gearless), the applicant should be 18 years old to take the driving license test.
- For commercial or transport vehicles/car, including passenger vehicles, the applicant should be at least 20 years of age.
- The applicant for the driving license test should have a learner’s license.
- The applicant should be well-versed with the road rules and regulations set by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and the State Transport Department of Bihar.
Only 30 days after the RTO issues the learner’s license can the candidate apply for the driving license test. The candidate will have to take the driving license test within 6 months of being issued the driving license.
Steps to apply for a driving license in Bihar
Driving license applicants in Bihar can follow the steps mentioned below to apply for a driving license online and offline:
- 30 days after being issued the learner’s license, the driving license applicant has to visit the State Transport Department of Bihar website - http://transport.bih.nic.in/
- On the main page of the website, the applicant has to click on ‘online driving service’ on the right-hand side of the page.
- The page will be redirected to the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Click on ‘online services’ on the top bar of the page.
- Choose ‘new driving license’ from the drop-down menu.
- Click on ‘apply online’.
- The applicant has to then enter his/her learner’s license number and date of birth.
- The candidate has to download the application form - Form 4 or Form 5 - depending on the vehicle category. The driving license applicant has to then enter all the required details in the application form and self-attest the form.
- He/she has to then upload the application form, relevant documents and passport-size photographs on the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Once the documents have been uploaded, the candidate has to book a driving test slot on the portal using the application number.
- On the day of the driving test chosen by the candidate, he/she should be present at the RTO with the application form and relevant documents.
If the driving license applicant has chosen to carry out the procedure of applying for the test offline, the whole process has to be carried out at the RTO:
- The candidate for the driving license test has to visit the RTO in his/her jurisdiction.
- He/she will then have to procure the application form for the driving test - Form 4 for private vehicles and Form 5 for commercial or transport vehicles, including passenger vehicles.
- The driving license candidate has to then fill in the application form, choose the vehicle category he/she wishes to be permitted to drive and self-attest the application form.
- The candidate will have to then submit the application form, relevant documents (age and identity proof) and pay the fees for the application.
- The authorised personnel will then verify the documents that have been submitted and will request the candidate to choose a slot (day and time) for the driving test - based on what’s available.
- The candidate has to then take the driving license test on the allotted day. He/she will have to carry all the documents that have been verified and documents of the vehicle he/she will be taking the test with - pollution under control (PUC) certificate, insurance documents and the registration certificate of the vehicle.
If the candidate clears the practical driving test, the RTO will issue the driving license document within 30 days from the day of passing the test.
Documents required to apply for a four wheeler driving test in Bihar
The driving license applicant taking the test at an RTO in Bihar will have to submit the following documents in order to take the practical driving test:
- Application form - Form 4 or Form 5 - depending on the vehicle category he/she wishes to be permitted to drive.
- Medical certificate with Form 1 or Form 1A.
- Identity proof - Passport, Aadhaar card, Ration card, Voter ID card, etc.
- Proof of age - Passport, Aadhaar card, Birth Certificate, etc.
- Registration certificate, pollution under control certificate, and insurance documents of the four wheeler that will be used for the driving test.
- Recent passport-size photographs.
Using the learner’s license number or the application number, the driving license candidate can check the status of his/her driving license once the test is completed. This can be done on the portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. In addition, the candidate can apply for a duplicate driving license in the future if the document is either lost, stolen, or soiled. If the driving license card is stolen or lost, the driving license holder has to get an FIR from the nearest police station and then apply for a duplicate driving license at the RTO that issued the original driving license.