Following the amendment of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, in order to legally drive in the country, all vehicle owners need to have a valid driving license. Only once the vehicle owner has been registered in the RTO in his/her jurisdiction and issued a license - learner’s license or permanent four wheeler driving license - can he/she drive. Along with the registration certificate, the insurance document of the vehicle/car (third-party insurance or comprehensive insurance) and the pollution under control (PUC) certificate, the vehicle owner has to carry the driving license at all times. If the vehicle owner meets with an accident or is pulled over by the traffic police, he/she will need to hand over his/her driving license, or the vehicle owner will be penalised and depending on the severity of the situation, could also be jailed.
Once issued a learner’s driving license, vehicle owners in Mumbai have to apply for the permanent driving license. This can be done either at the RTO that issued the learner’s license or via the Maharashtra Department of Motor Vehicle website and the online portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. To take the driving license test, the applicant has to be well prepared with regard to his/her skills in controlling the vehicle and knowledge of the road signals and rules and regulations.
Types of driving license issued in Mumbai
The State Transport Department of Maharashtra issued driving licenses in Mumbai depending on the type of vehicle that the applicant wishes to drive:
- Two-wheeler below 50cc.
- Two-wheeler driving license with gears or gearless.
- Four-wheeler driving license with gears or automatic.
- Driving license for a heavy goods vehicle.
- Driving license for a heavy or light passenger vehicle.
- Driving license for a commercial vehicle.
- Driving license for a transport vehicle.
Eligibility criteria to apply for a four wheeler driving license in Mumbai
To apply for a permanent driving license in Mumbai, candidates have to meet the below-listed requirements:
- For four-wheelers (geared and automatic), the applicant has to be a minimum of 18 years old.
- If the candidate wishes to be permitted to drive a commercial vehicle or a transport vehicle, he/she should be a minimum of 20 years old.
- The candidate has to be medically fit to take the driving license test.
- The applicant should already hold a learner’s license to be eligible to apply for the permanent driving license test.
- The candidate should be well aware of the road rules and regulations and the meaning of the road sign boards and signals.
Only 30 days after being issued the learner’s license can the candidate apply for the permanent driving license.
Steps to apply for a driving license in Mumbai
To apply for the permanent driving license online or offline, the applicant has to follow the steps mentioned below:
- The applicant has to visit the Maharashtra Department of Motor Vehicle website - Click here
- On the main page, he/she should click on ‘citizen services’ and then click on ‘driving license’.
- The page will be directed to the portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. Choose ‘Maharashtra’ as the state for the application of the driving license.
- The candidate has to then click on ‘online services’ on the main page and click on ‘Driving license related services’ from the drop-down menu.
- The applicant has to then enter his/her learner’s license number and date of birth.
- Click on ‘ok’ to proceed.
- The candidate has to download Form 4 for a private vehicle driving license or Form 5 that is specifically for commercial or transport vehicles.
- Once the application form is downloaded, the driving license applicant in Mumbai has to fill in the required details of the form, and self-attest the form.
- Once the details of the form are filled in, the applicant has to cross check if all the details are correct and then upload the form, along with his/her recent passport-size photographs and relevant documents.
- Using the application number, the applicant has to book a slot for the four wheeler driving license test on the portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- On the day of the driving test, the applicant has to take the documents and application form and get it verified by the concerned authorised personnel.
- He/she has to then take the practical driving test.
- The learner’s license holder has to visit the RTO and procure the application form for the permanent driving license.
- He/she has to fill in the required details of the form and sign it and paste his/her passport-size photographs.
- The application form along with the relevant documents has to be submitted for verification by the concerned personnel.
- Following the verification, the candidate has to pay the fees for the application and choose a slot for the driving license test.
- The applicant has to then appear at the RTO with the verified documents and application form along with the documents of the vehicle that will be used for the driving test and then take the test.
Documents required to apply for a four driving license in Mumbai
The driving license candidate will have to submit the below-listed documents at the RTO:
- Fill in application form that has been duly signed by the applicant.
- Proof of age - Birth certificate, Aadhaar card, Passport, etc.
- Proof of identity - Passport, Voter ID card, Aadhaar card, etc.
- Original learners license document.
- Medical certificate.
- Registration certificate, insurance document and pollution under control (PUC) certificate of the vehicle/car that will be used for the driving test.
- Passport-size photographs.
Following the driving license test, the applicant can visit the online portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to check the status of his/her driving license. This can be done using either the application number or the learner’s license number of the candidate. If the candidate clears the test, the driving license will be posted to the home address of the candidate.