In order to legally drive a car in the state of Maharashtra, citizens of Pune need to have a valid four wheeler driving license. The driving license document registers the vehicle owner in the RTO in his/her jurisdiction and can also be used as identification proof. The driving license document is valid for a period of 20 years or till the citizen reaches the age of 50 years. The first step for vehicle owners in Pune to get a permanent driving license is to first apply for a learner’s license and take the written test. If the candidate clears the written test, he/she will be granted the learner’s license. The candidate has to then wait for 30 days before he/she can apply for the driving license test.
Vehicle owners in Pune can choose to apply for the driving license test either on the online portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways or at the RTO in their jurisdiction. With the online process, the applicant has to download the application form, fill in the required details, upload the application form and relevant documents and finally book the slot for the driving test. With the offline process, the candidate has to do all the aforementioned steps at the RTO.
Types of driving licenses issued in Pune
Depending on the type of vehicle that the applicant wishes to drive or the purpose (for private or commercial/transport), the candidate will be issued any of the below-listed driving licenses by an RTO in Pune:
- For a motorcycle that is below 50cc.
- For a light motor vehicle, any vehicle that has an engine capacity more than 50cc - geared or gearless.
- Driving license to permit one to use a vehicle for commercial purposes.
- Driving license to permit one to use a transport vehicle - including passenger vehicles.
- For a heavy goods vehicle or a medium goods vehicle.
- Driving license to permit one to use a medium passenger vehicle.
Driving license applicants have to choose the vehicle category that they wish to be permitted to drive. They can also add a vehicle class when apply for the driving license test for an additional fee.
Eligibility to apply for a four wheeler driving license in Pune
In order to apply for a driving license in Pune, the applicant has to meet the conditions listed below:
- For a light motor vehicle with gears and gearless, the candidate has to be 18 years old to apply.
- If the applicant wishes to be permitted to drive a heavy motor vehicle, a commercial vehicle or a transport vehicle, he/she should be a minimum of 18 years old.
- To apply for a four wheeler driving license test, the applicant should already have a learner’s license. 30 days after the applicant is issued the learner’s license, he/she can apply for the permanent driving license test. The application for the driving license test has to be made 180 days of the issue of the learner’s license.
Steps to apply for a four wheeler driving license in Pune
Permanent driving license candidates in Pune have to follow the steps mentioned below to apply for the driving license either online or offline:
- 30 days after being issued the driving license, the applicant has to visit the official online portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways - https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice1/sarathiHomePublic.do
- On the main page, the candidate has to choose ‘Maharashtra’ from the drop-down list.
- The applicant has to then click on ‘apply now’ on the left side of the page.
- He/she should choose ‘new driving license’.
- Once the page has been redirected, the candidate has to enter his/her learner’s license number and date of birth.
- Click on ‘ok’ to proceed.
- The applicant has to download Form 4 if he/she wishes to drive a private vehicle or Form 5 for a commercial or a transport vehicle.
- The candidate for the driving license has to then fill in the application form and ensure that he/she self-attests the form.
- For the next step, the applicant has to upload the application form, along with his/her passport-size photographs and relevant documents.
- Once the documents have been uploaded on the portal, the applicant has to book a slot for the driving test using the application number or his/her learner’s license number.
- The candidate has to then appear on the day of the driving test, get the application form and documents verified and then take the practical test.
- The applicant has to visit the Regional Transport Office in his/her jurisdiction and procure the application form.
- He/she has to fill in the application form, sign the form, paste the passport-size photograph and submit it along with relevant documents.
- The authorised personnel will then verify the application form and the documents that have been submitted by the candidate.
- If the documents that have been submitted are legitimate, the candidate will have to pay the fees for the application and then book a slot for the driving license test.
- On the day of the driving test, the applicant has to be present with the application form and documents that have been verified and documents relevant to the vehicle that will be used for the test.
Documents required for a driving license in Pune
When applying for the four wheeler driving license test, the applicant will have to submit the below-listed documents:
- Application form that is filled and self-attested.
- Medical certificate with details entered in Form 1 or Form 1a.
- Proof of identity - Ration card, Aadhaar card, Passport, etc.
- Proof of age - Passport, birth certificate, any insurance document, etc.
- Registration certificate, pollution under control (PUC) certificate, insurance document of the vehicle/car that will be used for the driving test. This has to be submitted on the day of the driving test.
- Passport-size photographs.
On the day of the driving license test, the candidate will be tested on his/her ability to control the vehicle/car and knowledge of the road rules and regulations that have been set by the State Transport Department of Maharashtra and the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. If the driving license candidate clears the test, then he/she can expect the driving license document or smart card to be delivered by post to his/her doorstep within 30 days by the RTO. Meanwhile, the candidate can use the application number or the learner’s license number to check the status of the driving license on the portal of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.