Getting a driving license (DL) is one of the best feelings that you can get. If you are an owner of a car, there can be no better feeling then taking it out for a ride knowing very well that you are the rightful owner of the vehicle. Driving license is one of the most important documents that you must possess and it can take some time before you receive your driving license.
Apart from getting a license, it is also important to remember to renew your driving license. The failure to do so may result in serious penalties being imposed on you. Having an expired driving license means that you are no more the owner of the vehicle at least on the paper and hence it is your responsibility to ensure that you get this important id proof renewed on time.
The procedure to renew your four wheeler driving license
Below given is the process of renewing your car driving license:
- Log in to parivahan.gov.in.
- On the left side of the page, you will find the Driving License section.
- Under the Driving License section, click on Apply Online.
- A new sub-section opens where you will have to click on Service on Driving License.
- You will be directed to a separate page where you will be shown the required documents that you will have to submit. Click on the continue button.
- A new application page will open, where you will have to fill in your details such as your driving license number, date of birth, and RTO under which your vehicle is registered.
- Once you have filled all the relevant details, you can then click on proceed.
- You will have to upload Form 9 which can be collected from any local RTO or downloaded from any proper website.
- You will also have to upload Form 1 and Form 1A which serve as the proof of your medical certificate. The form can be collected from the local RTO or can be downloaded from any legal website.
- You will be required to upload a scanned copy of your identity proof, address proof, and age proof.
- You will also have to upload a scanned copy of your three passport size photographs.
- You will also have to produce your expired driving license.
- Once you have uploaded all the relevant documents required to be submitted, you will have to pay a processing fee of Rs.200 and click on submit.
- You will then have to take a print out of the application submitted and schedule an appointment for your driving test. You must choose a date and time on which you are available to come and give the test.
- On the day of your test, it is recommended that you arrive a bit early from your scheduled time of the test so that you do not face any problems and the driving test can undergo in a smooth manner. Your driving license will be renewed only after you have successfully passed the test.
You must renew your driving license 20 days before the expiry of your driving license. You get only a month to renew your driving license.
Documents required for the renewal of your four-wheeler driving license
The following are the list of documents that you will have to furnish in order to get your car driving license renewed:
- The application form, which must be duly filled. The application form can be filed online or can be collected from the nearest RTO.
- Your expired driving license.
- Form 9 which can be downloaded online or collected from the nearest RTO.
- Form 1 and Form 1A which serve as a certificate of your medical fitness.
- Three passport size photographs.
- You will also require important documents such as passport, Aadhar, or any government-approved document as proof of your age, proof of address, and proof of identity.
- In case of a change in your address in your driving license, you will have to get it changed within 30 days by visiting the RTO which issued you your original driving license.
Hence, if you have a secure internet connection and all your documents are in place, you will be able to fill your application form without any problem. In order to submit these documents and book a slot so that you can give your driving test, you must ensure that you are available on the following date so that the process of renewing your driving license is conducted in a fast and smooth manner.