Owning a car can be an exquisite feeling. It is a beautiful experience to purchase a new vehicle and take it out for a ride. However, you need proper documents and proof of identities in order to prove that you are the rightful owner of your vehicle, of which driving license (DL) is the most important document. You cannot simply obtain a car driving license just like that. Before you are eligible to receive a DL, you will have to show the proof that you have learned how to drive a car in the first place and for that you will need a four wheeler learner license. A learner license allows you to drive your Indian roads provided that you are accompanied by someone who has a valid driving license.
The process of applying for a learner’s license online
The process for applying for a learner’s license is given below:
- Log in to parivahan.gov.in.
- On the left-hand side of the page, click on the ‘Driving License’ section.
- Click on Apply online.
- Under ‘Apply Online’ section click on ‘New Learner’s License’.
- You will be directed to a new page where you can check the stages involved regarding the process of applying for a learner’s license.
- Once you have checked the stages involved, click on ‘Continue’, and you will be directed to a separate page.
- The page that you will be directed to will be the application page where you will have to fill in relevant details in order to obtain a learner license. You will have to choose one of the categories out of the following options i.e. Diplomats (Not foreigners), Foreigners (Not diplomats), Physically Challenged, Repatriate, Refugees, and Ex-Servicemen. You must leave the option blank if you do not belong to any category mentioned above.
- There are further three more options out of which you will have to select one. The options are the Applicant does not hold a driving/learning license, the Applicant holds a driving license, and the Applicant holds a learning license. For the second and third option, you will have to enter your DL and learning license number, depending on whichever document you hold.
- Enter your date of birth, and click on submit.
- Upload the necessary documents as proof of your age, proof of identity, and proof of address.
- Upload a scanned version of your signature and a passport size photograph of yours.
- Once you have successfully uploaded all the necessary documents, choose a time and date for your learner license appointment. It is advisable that you select a date and time on which you are available to give the test.
- Once you have chosen your desired date and time on which you want to give the test, proceed to pay the fee. Once the payment has been made, your application will be submitted to the concerned RTO.
- It is advisable that on the day of your test, you arrive a few minutes early so as to give your test in a smooth manner.
Procedure to apply for a learner license offline
Below is the procedure you will have to follow if you wish to apply for a learner license offline:
- Visit your nearest RTO office in order to apply for a learner license.
- You will have to fill either Form 2 or Form 3 depending on whichever is applicable. You can either collect these forms from the RTO office or download them online.
- Fill the form and ensure that all the details that you have entered are correct.
- Attach a passport size photograph of yours.
- Also attach relevant documents such as proof of age, id proof, and proof of address.
- Once you have attached all the documents, pick a date and time to appear for your learner’s license test. Submit your application form. You must also ensure that you select a date and time on which you are available to give the test.
- It is recommended that you arrive a bit early before your scheduled time of the test. Once you have passed the test, the learner license will be sent to your permanent address.
- If you are learning to drive with the help of a driving school, you can ask one of their authorities to assist you with the process of getting a learner license.
Documents required for learner license
Following are the documents that you may carry with you while you apply for a learner license:
- Age proof
- Birth certificate
- PAN Card
- 10th and 12th mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from your school with the date of birth clearly mentioned
- Address proof
- Aadhar Card
- Electricity bill
- Telephone bill
- Ration card
- House rent agreement if you are a resident of another city
- ID proof
- Aadhar Card
- Voter Id
- PAN Card
- A minimum of 6 passport size photographs
- Form 1A, Form 2 and Form 3 if necessary
- Application form filled duly
- Medical certificate
- Application fee
Hence, applying for a learner license is a very simple process. You can apply for a learner license online provided that you have a secured internet connection and all your documents are in place. Once you have submitted all the documents and fill the form, pay the application fee, and choose an appropriate time and date on which you can be available to give the test. You can also apply for your learner license by visiting the nearest RTO. Ensure that all the relevant documents are in place before you submit the application. Once you have successfully passed the test, the learning license will be sent to your permanent address.