If you look at the old driving license, was brought out in an old book format consisting various pages of information. Most of the times, these pages would come off and would be a bit problematic as you would be at risk of losing a page containing vital information. Hence, the government introduced the Smart Card Driving License, which is nothing but a plastic card with a 64 kb microprocessor chip embedded in it. The chip will contain all the important details about the person holding the driving license. Most importantly, it is hassle-free for you to carry this card and easy to handle as well.
The card is not applicable in all the states of India but is considered to be better than a normal driving license as not only all your information is stored in the chip, but is also easily accessible by the RTO which allows them to keep your data safe and sound with themselves. It is also not easy for a third party to misuse your card as your fingerprint and biometric data including blood group are recorded on the chip embedded in the card and as mentioned earlier, accessible to the RTO.
Benefits of having a Smart Card Driving License for Four Wheeler
There are various advantages of having a smart card driving license:
- All your information related to your driving license is stored in a 64kb microprocessor chip.
- Smart card driving license is extremely safe and secure in nature as it cannot be tampered easily with. This type of card works only when inserted in special handheld devices which completely takes out any chances of a person misusing the card out of the equation.
- Your smart driving license contains all the information about you including your fingerprints, biometric data, blood group etc. which makes it extremely safe and hassle-free in nature. It is unlike a normal driving license which is issued to you in a book format and can be misused without anyone’s prior knowledge.
- A smart card driving license prevents the use of any fraudulent activities such as issuing of a fake driving license or registration certificates.
- The information once stored in the card can never be erased but only modified. This helps the concerned authorities for auditing purposes.
- A smart card can withstand any type of climate and can be used by you anywhere regardless of whether it is warm, cold, or raining.
- These types of cards do not get torn, wet, or mutilated, unlike normal driving license.
The process of applying for a smart card driving license for four-wheeler
You can obtain a smart card driving license both online and offline. The process of obtaining a smart card driving license online is given below:
- You must visit the official website of your state’s transport department website and download the application form.
- Fill the application form stating correct information as asked. Attach relevant documents as asked for.
- Take a print out of the application form and visit your nearest RTO to submit the application form.
- Pay the application fee and schedule a driving test. Choose an appropriate time and date on which you will be available to appear for the test.
- On the day of your test, reach the location a bit early from your scheduled time of the test. Once you complete your driving test, you will be asked to record your biometrics. The process will involve scanning of your retina, fingerprints, and photographs.
- Verify all your details so as to correct any error if any.
- Once you clear your driving test, the smart card driving license will be sent to your permanent address.
You can also apply for a smart card four-wheeler driving license through offline mode:
- Make sure that your RTO has the smart card driving license facility. If you already have a driving license, you can visit the RTO and get it converted into a smart card driving license. You will have to visit the RTO and duly fill the application form and submit it along with relevant documents, paying the fees and getting the biometrics done.
- You will have to collect an application form from your nearest RTO if you own a learner’s license.
- Duly fill your application form, pay the fees, and choose an appropriate time and date on which you can appear for your driving test.
- Arrive earlier than your scheduled time of test on the day you are supposed to give your driving test.
- Once you clear your driving test, your biometrics will be recorded, and your smart card driving license will be sent to your permanent address.
There are certain eligibility criteria that you will have to fulfil before you can obtain a smart card driving license:
- If your age is below the age of 18, you will have to get a letter of permission from your parent or guardian clearly stating that they have permitted you to apply for a smart card driving license.
- If you wish to apply for a smart card driving license and the capacity of your bike is under 50cc, then your minimum age must be 16 years.
- Your minimum age must be 18 years if you wish to apply for a smart card driving license and the capacity of your bike is above 50cc.
Documents required while applying for a smart card driving license
You will have to furnish any of the following documents in order to obtain a smart card driving license.
- Electricity bills
- House rental agreement
- Aadhar Card
- Ration card
- If you are a resident from another city, then you will have to submit a copy of your rental agreement, LPG, or electricity bill
- Birth certificate
- Aadhar Card
- Pan Card
- 10th or 12th mark sheet
- Transfer certificate clearly stating your date of birth
Other documents required:
- Form 1
- Form 1A
- Form 4
- 6 passport size photographs (if you hold a learner’s license), 1 passport size photograph (holding a driving license)
- Smart card application form
Hence, a smart card driving license is a document that you can prefer as it is safe and secure in nature. Even if you happen to lose your smart card, you do not have to fret as nobody can have access to your details as it is protected by biometric, fingerprint, and retinal secure. This ensures that all your data is secure and is not used for fraudulent activities. Your data can be accessed only by your RTO which issued the card to you. A smart card driving license is one of the most important documents that you must obtain for yourself. Not only is it a valid proof that you are the rightful owner of your vehicle, but it cannot be tampered with, which makes it an extremely safe and hassle-free material to own in nature.