Since their inception in 2006, Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd. have rolled out a plethora of health insurance, travel, and personal accident insurance policies through their 400+ branches spread across the country. The insurer is headquartered in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India and is tied up with more than 8,500 hospitals across the country where policyholders can avail the benefit of the cashless facility. For individuals who wish to insure their families as well at an affordable price, Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd. has launched the Star Care Micro Insurance Policy.
The Star Care Micro Insurance policy is an individual and family health insurance plan and is available in Tier I and Tier II cities in the country. Offered on a floater basis, the policyholder and his/her dependents are offered a sum assured of Rs.1 lakh per year. The Star Care Micro Insurance policy can be purchased through a single premium payment.
Eligibility criteria for the Star Care Micro Insurance policy
To purchase the Star Care Micro Insurance policy, customers have to meet the conditions as listed below:
- To purchase the Star Care Micro Insurance policy, the policyholder has to be a minimum of 18 years old and a maximum of 65 years old.
- The customer should be residing in either Tier I or Tier II cities in India.
- Those above the age of 65 years old can renew their policy for a lifetime.
- For the Star Care Micro Insurance family policy, all children above the age of 2 years old can be insured along with their parents.
Features and benefits of the Star Care Micro Insurance policy
Listed below are the highlights of the Star Care Micro Insurance policy:
- The Star Care Micro Insurance policy has to be purchased through a single premium payment and the policyholder is granted a single annual sum assured amounting to Rs.1 lakh.
- To avail the policy coverage, the policyholder or his/her dependents have to be hospitalised for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Coverage of room expenses, boarding, or nursing expenses up to 0.75% of the sum assured.
- Coverage of ICU expenses up to Rs.2,000 up to a maximum amount of Rs.10,000.
- The Star Care Micro Insurance policy offers coverage for surgeon, medical practitioner, anesthetist and special consultation fees.
- Coverage for drugs and medicines during hospitalisation which is subject to the policy terms.
- Coverage of ambulance or transportation expenses to the hospital up to Rs.500 per instance and subject to a maximum of Rs.1,000 per policy period.
- If the policyholder or his/her family members are hospitalised in a government hospital, he/she is eligible for the hospital cash benefit with a limit of Rs.1,000 per day for a maximum period of 2 weeks.
- Coverage of pre-hospitalisation expenses 30 days before the policyholder or his/her dependents are admitted in the hospital.
- Coverage of post-hospitalisation expenses up to days from the day of discharge from the hospital up to 7% of the hospitalisation expenses with a maximum of Rs.3,000.
- The Star Care Micro Insurance policy does not have any medical screening before the policyholder purchases the policy.
- Coverage of pre-existing diseases provided that the policyholder has held the policy for 4 continuous years.
- Coverage of 405 day care treatments.
Exclusions of the Star Care Micro Insurance policy
Any claim made by the policyholder will be rejected if hospitalisation is caused due to the following reasons:
- If hospitalisation was caused due to a pre-existing disease and the policyholder has not held the Star Care Micro Insurance policy for at least 4 years.
- If the policyholder makes a claim within the first month from the commencement of the policy.
- If hospitalisation is due to circumcision.
- No coverage will be extended for vaccinations or dental treatments unless the need for the treatment is required following an accident that hospitalised the individual.
- No coverage will be extended if hospitalisation was caused due to intake of drugs or alcohol, and if the patient suffers from HIV, AIDS or any sexually transmitted disease.
- If hospitalisation was caused due to war or any sort of nuclear activity.
- If hospitalisation was caused due to pregnancy, abortion, or pregnancy-related complications.
*For a comprehensive list of the exclusions, the policyholder should read the policy brochure.
Additional benefits of the Star Care Micro Insurance policy
Listed below are the additional benefits of the Star Care Micro Insurance policy:
- Policyholders are granted a 30-day grace period following the expiry of the policy to renew the Star Care Micro Insurance policy.
- The policyholder can cancel the policy by issuing a 30-day notice via a registered letter. If the policy has policy has been in force for more than 6 months, no premium refund will be given to the policyholder on cancellation of the policy.
- Policyholder are granted a 15-day free look period to assess whether the Star Care Micro Insurance policy suits their needs. If not, the policy can be returned during this period for no cost at all.
- The policyholder can choose to port the policy to another insurer provided he/she gives a 45-day notice prior to the renewal date of the policy.
Star Care Micro Insurance policy claims procedure
Star Care Micro Insurance policyholders need to follow the guidelines as mentioned below to make a claim:
- The policyholder has to intimate the insurer 24 hours prior to the planned hospitalisation.
- For emergency hospitalisation, the insurer has to be intimated within 24 hours from admission to the hospital.
- Policyholders can avail the cashless facility at any of the network hospitals in Tier I and Tier II cities.
- For reimbursement claim settlement, all relevant documents have to be submitted to the insurer including the medical bills.
- The hospital cash benefit in government hospitals will be reimbursed.
For any assistance regarding purchase of the policy or raising a claim, customers or policyholders can call the 24/7 customer care service at 1800 425 2255. At the hospital, the policyholder has to submit his/her policy ID card at the insurance desk to avail the insurance coverage. For the premiums paid for the Star Care Micro Insurance policy, the policyholder can claim tax deductions under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.