It is the duty of every responsible citizen to get a driving licence if he/she wishes to drive a car on Indian roads. Under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, the Indian government has made it mandatory for a car driver to get a driving license before he/she gets behind the wheel. The driving licence can be obtained only after a two-step process which will prove that the individual has undergone the necessary training, practice, and tests necessary to authorise him/her as a driver.
The driving licence is issued to applicants by the Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) set up by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. In the state of Maharashtra, too, the RTO issues individual driving permits to those who wish to drive a car. Since the process can be elaborate and time-consuming, Maharashtra has simplified certain procedures with respect to applying for a driving licence. Read further to learn how to apply for a driving licence in Maharashtra.
Importance of driving licence in Maharashtra
The driving licence is a very important document that has to be held by every driver. It is as important as the registration document and car insurance copy of the car one drives. Here are a few reasons why the driving licence is an important document:
- Mandated by law: Since it has been mandatory to possess a driving licence to drive a car, it is most important to do so in order to avoid paying a penalty for not following the rule. Individuals who do not have a driving licence are fined or can be imprisoned for a short period too.
- For identification: Not only is it important to apply for a driving licence, but also to carry it at all times when one rides. The reasons for this is that not carrying the driving licence is punishable, plus the licence can help people identify the person in case there is a road accident.
- Authorises the driver: Whether an individual is a professional driver or not, only an authentic driving licence issued by the RTO will authorise the person as a driver.
- Can be used as an ID: The driving licence can be used as a document of proof of identity to apply for a loan, insurance, bank account, and so on.
Eligibility for driving licence in Maharashtra
The eligibility details as stated by the Motor Vehicles department of Maharashtra are given below:
- The applicant should be at least 18 years old to apply for a driving licence for vehicles that have an engine capacity more than 50cc.
- To apply for a driving licence for a vehicle with an engine capacity less than 50cc, the person only needs to be 16 years old. In this case, however, the parent or guardian will have to provide a declaration of consent.
- For a transport vehicle, the minimum age requirement is 20 years. Plus, he/she is required to have held a driving licence for a light motor vehicle (LMV) for at least a year.
How to apply for driving licence in Maharashtra
Since no individual is legally permitted to use a vehicle unless he/she has a licence, the government issues learning licences to individuals to first learn how to drive before appearing for the driving test. It is important to note that the driving licence is provided only after the person passes the driving test. If he/she fails, he/she will have to practice and reappear in order to get through the test to obtain the driving licence. Hence, as established, a person has to first apply for a learning licence first and then a driving licence. The procedure to do so is given below:
Step 1: Apply for a learning licence
- You will need an application form to apply for the licence. You can either get the form from the nearest branch or get it on the official website of the Maharashtra Motor Vehicles Department.
- Collect/Download Form 2 i.e. the application form for learning licence.
- Fill in all the details in the form.
- Submit the below-mentioned documents along with the form:
- Physical fitness application-cum-declaration under Form 1
- Proof of address
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of age
- Three recent passport-sized photographs
- Once you’ve submitted the necessary documents, you will have to book a slot for the learning licence test. You can do this either at the RTO or online.
- The fee payable for applying for a learning licence is Rs.151 for each class of vehicle.
- Visit the RTO on the day of the test, in time for the learning licence test. The test consists of 20 questions related to the operation of a car, traffic rules, road signs, etc. If you wish, you can take mock tests online on the official portal before appearing for the test.
- If you answer 60% of the questions correctly, you will pass the test. In case you don’t pass the test, you can book another slot and re-appear for the test.
- Once you clear the test, the learning licence will be provided the same day.
Step 2: Apply for a driving licence
- Apply for the driving licence under Form 4.
- The documents to be submitted along with the application form are:
- Learning licence
- Proof of age
- Proof of residence
- Three recent passport-sized photographs
- All valid documents of the vehicle in which you are going to appear for the test
- The fee applicable for apply for the driving licence is Rs.716.
- Similar to the learning licence test, you will have to pick a date and a slot to appear for the driving test.
- The test is conducted on various parameters such as those given below:
- Fastening the seat belt before starting the car and taking other necessary precautions.
- Adjusting the rear view mirror.
- Change the lanes using the right signals.
- Change gears as necessary.
- Stop the vehicle in case of an emergency.
- Keep left.
- Make proper use of the different parts of the car.
- Drive with attention and ensure safety of others on the road by regulating speed and driving appropriately by anticipating the actions of others on the road.
- Once you pass the test, the permanent driving licence will be issued to you. In case you do not pass the test, you can retake the test after a period of 7 days.
FAQs on driving licence in Maharashtra
When can I apply for a driving licence?
The learning licence is valid for 6 months from the day it is issued. You can apply for the driving licence any time after completion of 1 month up to the last date of the learning licence validity.
Can the learning licence be renewed?
No, the learning licence cannot be renewed.
Can the driving licence be renewed?
Yes. The permanent driving licence is typically valid for 20 years or until the driving licence owner turns 50 years old, whichever occurs earlier. Within 30 days before the expiry of the licence, the person can apply for renewal of the licence.
Is the driving licence valid in other countries?
You will have to apply for an international driving licence if you want to travel in other countries.
What do transport vehicles include?
Transport vehicles include buses, trucks, large vans, tempos, etc. The transport vehicles category is further divided into medium and heavy vehicles.