Unlike many RTOs in the country, the Kerala state RTO’s culture is very different. The government has made sure that the authorities and officers at the RTOs are helpful and friendly. No broker or agent are welcomed inside the premises of the building, and this has helped them to prioritize applications according to the date of submission and not due to recommendation.
The Kerala Motor Vehicle Department has made ‘any service any counter’ and ‘one person one application’ rule as mandatory across all the RTOs. This was implied to serve the customers instead of them running to different counters for different services. Like any other RTO, the date and location of the DL test is informed immediately after the completion of learner’s permit test. This is why the long lines in-front of the RTOs are seen almost never as it is a very systematic process. The road tax payment is valid for 15 years for new bikes. If the vehicle is less than 95cc engines, then the owners can choose to pay the taxes for 5, 10 or 15 years according to their comfort.
Registering New Bikes or Scooters In Kerala:
- Documents for new registration:
- Form 20 application for vehicle registration
- Form 21 sales certificate provided by the dealer
- Form 22 which is issued by the manufacturer that proves that the vehicle is in compliance with the pollution standards, safety standards of components and road-worthiness.
- Form 22A if the vehicle’s body is separately fabricated.
- If it is a transport vehicle then Measurement Certificate form should also be submitted
- Form 60 or 61 has to be filled if the owner does not hold a PAN card.
- If you want to by a fancy number for the vehicle then you have to fill in the RFRMA application for reservation of registration number. Through this, you can participate in the online auction for fancy numbers.
Documents For Renewing RC:
- Forrenewal of registration certificate of the vehicle after the expiry, Form 25 should be duly filled and signed by the owner of the vehicle.The process will take a minimum time of a week or two to be completed.
- For duplicate RC, you have to fill in Form 26 citing the reason of application like loss of RC, theft, misplacement, etc.
For vehicles Brought From Other States:
If the owner of the bike/scooter has moved permanently from another state to Kerala, then he/she has to re-register the vehicle in the local RTO in Kerala. If it’s a temporary reallocation, then this step is not needed. Here are the documents you will need:
- From 27 application for new registration number request along with an affidavit for RMA.
- No Objection certificate from previous RTO in Form 28.
- Pencil print of chassis number.
- If it is a second hand vehicle, then the copy of ownership transfer in form 29 along with other bike documents has to be submitted.
- If the vehicle is held under any agreement of hypothecation or loan, then Form 30 has to be submitted requesting for a transfer of ownership which is to be filled by the owner.
- Original Registration Certificate
- A valid two-wheeler insurance
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
- ID Proof like AADHAAR, DL, Voter Id, etc.
- Copy of PAN card or Form 60 declaration
- Residential address proof
For transfer of the vehicle ownership in case of death of the owner, Form 31 has to be submitted by the legal heir of the vehicle along with the death certificate of the owner. If it’s a public auction owned vehicle, then Form 32 has to be submitted for transfer of ownership into the name of the new owner.
Other Documents Needed For Following Procedures:
- For change of address in Registration Certificate, Form 33 has to be submitted to the concerned authority along with the new address proof and other necessary documents.
- If the vehicle is under any hire/purchase agreement, vehicle loan or any other hypothecations, then it has to be endorsed in Form 34, and to be submitted to the concerned authority.
- If the owner of the vehicle has cleared all the liabilities towards any of the agreements or hypothecations, then the termination has be recorded by submitting Form 35 at the MVD.
Disclaimer: For any further clarification, you can visit the official website or contact the helpline through the number mentioned on the website.