Learner’s licences, as well as driving licences, are usually issued by Regional Transport Offices (RTOs). Applicants are required to collect the relevant forms, fill the form, attach necessary documents, and submit it at the RTO. The individual will then have to take a preliminary test to obtain the learner’s licence. Recently, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways offered the learner’s licence application facility online making it a more convenient and time-saving option than standing in long queues and spending almost a day at the RTO.
Why you should apply for a learner’s licence in Bihar
Any person who wishes to ride a bike or drive a car is required to hold a driving licence. Before that, he/she needs to have a learner’s licence, here’s why:
- The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 has made it compulsory for every individual who drives a vehicle to have a driving licence. Before applying for a driving licence, he/she is required to first obtain a learner’s licence.
- Since a person who does not have a licence cannot use a vehicle, it is necessary for one to get a learner’s licence to learn how to ride/drive.
- As long as the learner’s licence is valid, the individual can learn to drive using the vehicle type for which he/she has obtained the licence so that he/she can successfully complete the practical driving test for the permanent driving licence.
Eligibility for Bike learner’s licence in Bihar
The Indian government has laid down certain guidelines regarding the age groups that can apply for a licence. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- For below 50cc (without gear) vehicles: The applicant has to be at least 16 years old to apply for the learner’s licence. If he/she is below 18 years, the parent or guardian is required to provide a consent letter.
- For 50cc and above (with gear) vehicle: The individual should be at least 18 years to apply for the licence in this case.
- Transport vehicles: The person should have held a driving licence for a Light Motor Vehicle (LMV) for at least a year and should be 20 years old at the time of application of licence for a transport vehicle. Additionally, he/she should have completed schooling up to Std.8.
How to apply for a learner’s licence in Bihar
Applying for a learner’s licence online is very simple. The procedure for any resident in Bihar to apply for a learner’s licence online is as follows:
- The individual should open the Sarathi website created by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- He/she should click on ‘Online Services’ visible in the menu present on the top of the page.
- From the drop-down, the person should click on ‘Driving Licence Related Services’.
- The redirected page will ask the person the state he/she belongs to. The individual, here, is required to select ‘Bihar’.
- When the facilities offered under driving licence appears, one has to click on ‘Apply Online’ and then click on ‘New Learner’s Licence’.
- This will lead to a short instruction page regarding the learner’s licence application process. He/she should read the instructions and click on ‘Continue’.
- The person should then select the appropriate choices from the options provided and then click on ‘Submit’.
- Next, the individual should fill the application form with all the relevant details requested and then click on ‘Submit’.
- After this, the person will have to upload relevant documents to process the learner’s licence application.
- Once these steps are completed, the person will have to choose a slot for the preliminary test.
- Once the slot is booked, the person can pay the fee online.
Documents required to apply for a learner’s licence
The applicant is required to submit a few relevant documents to verify the details provided by him/her. The documents required to be submitted are:
- Address proof such as Aadhaar or Ration card
- Age proof such as passport or PAN
- Recent photographs
- Medical certificate plus Form 1 and Form 1A
Frequently asked questions
1.Is the learner’s licence issued in Bihar valid only in that particular state?
No, the licence is valid throughout India.
2.Can I get a duplicate learner’s licence if I lose my original?
Yes, you can submit the documents submitted at the time of application along with the police report, in case you have lost it, to get a duplicate copy.
3.What is the validity of a learner’s licence?
The learner’s licence is valid for a period of 6 months.
4.Will I have to apply for each class of vehicle separately?
Yes, the learner’s licence will be provided only for a specific class of vehicle. If you want a licence for any other class, you will have to apply for a separate licence.
5.Should I carry my learner’s licence at all times?
You will have to carry your licence whenever you are using a vehicle.