"Spending a whole day looking for insurance is fun," said nobody, EVER!
Loading your search...

Fill in a few details and we'll find the best Two-Wheeler Insurance offers for you.

  • RTO Rules For Interstate Vehicle Transfer

    Two Wheeler Insurance
    • Get quotes from multiple insurers
    • Cashless garages available
    • Buy/renew your policy online without hassles

    The majority of bike owners are unaware of the most crucial steps one has to follow while transferring the bike from one state to another. In most cases it is seen that, the DL a bike owner has and the registration certificate of the bike, has been assumed that it is true for the entire country so the bike cane ridden anywhere in the country without having to change its documentations. Well, it is true that the DL one holds from a particular RTO is valid across the country but not the registration certificate. If a an individual is relocating permanently to another state along with the bike/scooter, then the vehicle has to be re-registered according to the local RTO as per that state and city.

    For instance, if a person is moving from state ‘A’ city to state ‘B’city,  the owner of the two-wheeler has to first get the permission from the RTO of the state ‘A’ city, only after which he can re-register his bike in city ‘B’. The road tax paid in state ‘A’ city might be higher or lower than state ‘B’ city. If it is higher, then the difference amount should be while registering the bike. If it is lower, a refund can be applied in the RTO of state ‘A’ city. Hence it is important to know the complete step by step process of both the RTOs and be prepared with the documents in advance, rather than panicking at the end.

    The procedure for bike transfer if a person has bought the vehicle on loan, involves one extra step and that is getting a no-objection certificate from the financier citing the reason of transfer. The reason may be anything but should be documented like job transfer card, employment certificate, medical requirements, etc. or any other document that is acceptable to the bank. The reason of the transfer must be supported with a valid document. The bank will verify the submitted documents before providing the consent letter. Once the verification process has been completed, the bank will then issue the no-objection certificate.

    Here is step by step guide to understand the procedure for interstate bike transfer:

    In the above mentioned example, if you are moving from state ‘A’ city to state ‘B’ city, the first step is to get an NOC from the RTO of state ‘A’ city along with the below listed documents:

    • Applicable transfer fee
    • Active copy of two-wheeler insurance policy
    • Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC)
    • 4 copies of Form 28 and 27 duly filled and signed by the owner of the bike
    • Original Registration Certificate
    • A pencil print of the chassis imprint of the bike
    • A written application for NOC for transfer of the vehicle
    • NOC from the financier if the vehicle was purchased on loan
    • Receipts of the road tax payment
    • NOC from the traffic police of your current city of residence to speed up the process

    On submission of the above documents to the concerned authority at the RTO, the application will be verified and processed with 10 days or less post which the NOC will be handed to you. If there are any unpaid tickets for traffic violations in the name of the owner of the bike, you may need to pay the dues and submit the receipt at the RTO to get NOC.

    Once the bike owner get the NOC, the next step is to get the vehicle transferred to the city he/she is moving into via railways, airways or roadways that is riding the bike to the new city.

    On arrival in the new city, immediately approach the local RTO for further process of bike re-registration. Re-registration is important because the registration number of bike will also change. Only after changing the vehicle number, the bike will be eligible to ride in the city of the state he/she has moved into. Below is the list of documents he/she has to carry to the RTO to get the new registration number:

    • Form 29 and 30 duly filled by the owner for re-registration
    • Original Registration certificate
    • Pencil print of the Chassis imprint of the vehicle
    • Active policy copy of the two-wheeler insurance
    • Copy of the NOC from the old RTO
    • Emission test certificate of the vehicle
    • Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC)
    • Address proof of new residence
    • ID proof of the owner of the vehicle like DL, AADHAAR, VOTER ID, etc.
    • Vehicle purchase receipt
    • Applicable registration charges like octroi, road tax payment receipts, etc.

    Octroi is a duty levied for moving your item or goods from one state to another. The octroi is calculated according to the IDV after deducting the depreciation percentage of the vehicle. A new registration number will be given to the owner once the documents have been verified and approved within a week or 10 days.

    If the bike owner wants a fancy number for the vehicle, then he/she should visit the RTO website of that state to know the procedure and participate in the bidding. The value for each category of fancy numbers is different and the participants will have to deposit the minimum bidding amount with the concerned authority at the RTO via Demand Draft. Once an individual has won the bidding for a particular number, the difference amount has to be paid within a specified time else the number will be scratched and distributed to the second highest bidder.

    The re-registration process is not required if he/she is relocating to a new city of a different state temporarily. Under the law of Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, any bike can be ridden across the country without re-registration for 12 months. Post which if he/she decides to relocate permanently, the above process has to be followed. If the road tax is lower in the new state which the owner has moved into, then he/she can submit the necessary documents at the old RTO and get the tax refund. This is a long process so the refund will be paid to the owner within 6 months.  

    If the bike owner under any circumstance decides not to move to a different state, he/she should submit the approved no objection certificate and obtain the Non-Utilisation Certificate, so that the registration number stays valid in the current residence.