Two-wheelers are one of the most vulnerable vehicles that are prone to road accidents. Riding a two-wheeler responsibly is very important considering today’s traffic and road conditions. However, sometimes even though you are careful, accidents are bound to occur. That is why, it is important to have a valid two wheeler insurance at all times. A two wheeler insurance policy helps in crisis time and provides financial protection, also covers the expenses of all the damages occurred to you and the vehicle. Third-party injuries are also covered under a two wheeler insurance policy.
Here are the steps you need to follow to make a two wheeler insurance claim:
- Inform the insurer immediately about the accident with all the necessary details. You can call the customer support number of the insurer and inform about the accident and policy details so that they can provide further assistance.
- If there is any third-party injury or property damage, you have to file an FIR with the nearest police station and obtain a copy of the same. Do not deal with the third party directly and agree to any cash settlement deals as this may cause problems in the future.
- Once you inform the insurer, the insurer will send an officer who will inspect the vehicle and report the extent of the damage and also give an estimated repair cost. This report will be submitted to the insurer post which the claim process will take place.
- At this point, you can either chose to get the vehicle repaired at any of the network garages of the insurer where you can enjoy cashless claim facility or you can get the vehicle repaired at own cost and get reimbursement later. However, by choosing to repair the vehicle with a network garage, you will be able to get the vehicle repaired through a hassle-free process.
- If the repair cost exceeds the limits mentioned in the policy, the insurer may offer to cover up to the maximum limit and the remaining will have to be paid by you. If it is within the limits, then only the excess cost (usually not covered under the policy) and depreciation cost will have to be borne by you.
- If there are any physical injuries suffered by you, you can get a reimbursement on the medical bills up to the limit mentioned in the policy. This is applicable only to comprehensive two wheeler insurance policyholders.
- Once the vehicle repair is completed, you have to submit a set of documents mentioned below to get the claim amount. If all the documents are in order, then the insurer will issue the receipt to the garage for vehicle delivery.
Documents required for claim submission:
- FIR, if any
- Original claim form duly filled by the policyholder
- Registration Certificate
- Driving License, PAN or Aadhaar card
- two wheeler insurance copy
- Address proof of the policyholder
- Original vehicle repair bill
It is important to know the steps involved in making an accidental claim on your two wheeler insurance in case of any mishap.